We’ve discovered a very weird behaviour in our SharePoint 2007 environment:
Looking at a document’s version history, we found out that sometimes a version gets lost after a new version gets checked in, as well as that the new version is checked in twice.
The following screenshot illustrates it:
We were at version 0.13, and checked out the document and edited it. It was then checked back in as version 0.14, which somehow was checked in twice (0.14 AND 0.15). And as you can see, version 0.13 has gone missing!
As you can also see from the dates in that screenshot, this is not just a recent issue, but one that seems to exist for quite some time already, so far unnoticed by us.
- We’ve got confirmed cases for Word and Excel documents, so it’s not restricted to a particular type of document only.
- The editors differ as well, furthermore they are located in different cities.
- These versions also weren’t deleted manually, but rather really disappear "on their own" (without any user interaction besides the editing).
- Also, it can happen multiple times for a file (e.g. 0.13 missing, 0.14 and 0.15 identical, later 0.21 missing, 0.22 and 0.23 identical, etc), but not all the time (In my example, versions 0.16 – 0.20 are there, no issues).
- The missing versions aren’t in any recycle bin (neither in the site, nor in the site collection)
- There are no workflows or Event Handlers attached to the library
We currently have no solution for this problem, as we don’t know what causes it. By chance, has anyone seen something like this before, or has an explanation what is happening here?